Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A work in progress



I've been thinking about this whole weight loss thing. When don't I ??? There are no 'quick fixes' and if you're not prepared to put in the hard yards you're not going to get the results you want. It's all very well to watch these weight loss shows where they lose 10 kg in a week, but we all know that's just not realistic.

WW says you should realistically be able to lose 0.5 to 1kg a week and if you did that every week for a year you'd lose 26 to 52 kg - hmmmmhmm, food for thought (so to speak).

I've been on this journey now for 41 weeks and i've lost 16 kilos - pitiful effort really. BUT ..... (hang on before you all blow up at me!! hear me out) i'm so much healthier and fitter than I was at the beginning of my journey. I have been stuffing around for the last 6 months and have been about the same weight in that time, give or take a kilo here and there, but I feel like i'm back on track now and i'm ready for the next step (yes, it's the exercise bit).

Other benefits:

Going from a size 18 to a size 14

Being able to sit on the floor and get up without huffing and puffing and having to roll around like a beached whale.

Being able to run around with Lachie and not have to sit down cos i'm too tired

Feeling better about myself and not hiding away on weekends cos i'm a fat cow and no-one loves me

Loser clothing (edit, I mean looser - I can't believe no-one picked me up on this, oh well i'm sure Kellee (aka the Grammar Police) would have!! *LOL to Kellee*)

Realising that warm weather is not my enemy

Making healthy choices

Not needing to have to pig out to make myself feel better and realising that it actually makes me feel worse!

I really would rather take this journey slowly, it's not so much of a change then. Last Christmas (I gave you my heart .... sorry got sidetracked! haha) I made myself a promise that there's no way I would be the same "Porker Girl" for the next Christmas and i'm not going to be. I will have definitely lost at least 20kg by this Christmas and i'm so proud of that.

So, my next project is to increase my exercise. I'm so lazy it's not funny and i'll find any excuse to sit on my butt and do nothing (or blog!!). I spend a lot of time at the computer, not only at work but at home aswell and that's ok in winter, but not now that the weather is warming up and it's getting lighter at night too.

My plan for between now and Christmas is to increase my walking to 10,000 plus steps a day. I have the treadmill now so there's no excuses. At the moment i'm doing about 8,000 steps a day which includes 30 mins on the treadmill in the morning, walking to get the mail - 10 mins and walking to do the banking - 20 mins. That equals an hour a day so i'm guessing i'll have to do about another 20 mins to get my goal of 10,000 a day and then eventually make it 30 mins to get over the 10,000 a day.

Once that's on track I need to get over my fruit phobia, but I can't talk about that now, that's WAY too scarey a thought, but then losing weight and exercising were scarey thoughts too not that long ago.

Crikey, who knows - I might even get to be a fit and healthy person at some stage in the future!!

Have a great day everyone, thanks for reading my blog, I hope i'm inspiring others or at least keeping you amused while you're here!!

Bri

By the way, i'm going to try and change the title of my blog - just thought it needed a spring clean! Wish me luck - i'm not very good at this technical stuff!

7 comments:

michelle said...

Much better name and soooo true. Also loved your positive post and your positive attitude. My friend you have come a long way and will keep on travelling. Now you do realise I am going to nag you even more about using the treadmill?

Kathryn said...

Good luck with it. And fruit is good! Esp summer fruit.

Kellee said...

wOOt for the treadmill! That would be rad. Now you have no excuse.

I love the spin you're putting on this. It must be the change of season, but everyone is really being positive about where they're at right now. I have some ideas about ways to tackle your fruit phobia, but I'll email you about them when I've got a bit more time. You're such a legend.

AND... even though "loser clothes" was technically a grammatical error, I will let it slide, because you are indeed having to wear the clothes of a "loser" now. He he he.

Mary said...

WOW Bri, I really love this post. You have obviously come a long way and with the positive thinking, you can keep on going and WILL reach your goal. Slowly sure does it and you will learn even more along the way. Well done on the loss yesterday too. I agree, walking more will help. It's our secret weapon!

philippa_moore said...

Hi Bri, I like the name change - it really reflects how far you've come and where you're headed. I also liked that you did a list of positive changes since beginning the journey - it really helps, doesn't it? Makes you realise that while you might still have a way to go, you've accomplished some great things so far, and it will only get better from here!

Have a great day

philippa_moore said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
philippa_moore said...

Sorry Bri, me again - posted the comment twice.. what a nong