Saturday, January 28, 2006

Sometimes life sucks



Living far far away from (nearly) everyone in your family has its upsides. You don't have to put up with any "Barone-like" relatives popping in whenever they want.

But, it also has its downsides. I never get a break from looking after DS. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love him to pieces. He's so intelligent, so cute and so adorable - how could you not just love him to smithereens!! But i'm either at work, in the car, or at home with DS, that's it - there are no other choices.

The downside is that DH and I NEVER get time to ourselves. NEVER.

We have both been invited to parties tonight and neither of us can go. I thought to console us, I would invite a couple of friends over for a BBQ, at least that way DS is in his own environment and can go to bed at his normal time and we can have a couple of drinks and some adult conversation and pretend we're "out".

The friend who I called said that her and her DH are going out for the night. Her cousin is minding her daughter overnight. What joy and bliss. I can't imagine how good it would feel to have a whole night to ourselves. Admittedly we would probably spend the whole night sleeping (DS has been a little restless this week and spends a couple of hours in the middle of the night awake and wanting to play - which is okay for him - but makes me very tired).

I'm jealous of people who have family that they can leave their child with. This is definitely the biggest downside of having no family around.....

Bri

10 comments:

Kathryn said...

What a bummer - it's always nice to have some time for yourself. Are they any other mums you could do babysitting swaps with?

laura said...

hmmmm, that is a bummer...maybe its time to go visit some family, let then love their time with the lil one and u and the man head out and have some time together....or like what kathryn said, maybe another mum....or even a baby sitter

Me said...

I know exactly how you feel - it is hard. We had the same problem when we arrived here and the our family left for Darwin !! But, a babysitter is a great idea - someone from his kindy should be able to recomment someone reliable. You deserve to have some time with DH - too often we get caught in the trap of worrying about our children and neglecting our DH's.
Hope you manage to sort something out - wish we lived a bit closer because I would be only too happy to have him for a night.
Lotsa hugs and take care.
Me

michelle said...

I would love to babysit for you Bri. I understand what you are saying and it is hard without family support. Hang in there sweetie and it will get easier as he gets older. You need to take a chance and advertise or ask around for a teenage girl to babysit perhaps one night a month. Think about it......

Kellee said...

Big hugs to you. Like everyone else, I would be more than happy to look after him. Why don't you move to Brisbane? It's a very nice place to live - full of lots of cool people (like me).

I reckon you need to do some investigating with the babysitter business. Yes, sure, the first few times you went out leaving bub at home with someone else you probably wouldn't enjoy yourself because you'd be stressing too much, but it would gradually get easier and pay off in the end. You need some YOU time, and so does DH. You poor things - I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Mary said...

I reckon but we gotta make the best of it hey. I can relate to what you are saying here and I know I don't have kids, but I feel this way about my cats when I have to find a cat sitter. I know, I'm nuts! I can't leave them to anyone and I'd prefer family but my family live far enough away too. Do you have any good friends close by? Would your friend's cousin mind babysitting your little one too? Gosh, imagine if I had kids if I'm this crazy about my cats!!

Leighanne said...

We don't get to go out together 'just the two of us'either, I have some family 1/2 hour away - but they all have full on social lives too - so if we do have something on I have to book in advance!
It would be lovely to spend more time out with hubby:)

Anonymous said...

Now I can leave a comment!!! I'm not a 'blogspot' member, and haven't been able to leave comments in the past! I like the new look blog. And I wish I could help you out and give you a night off. most of my family are in Newcastle - maybe you can borrow them? Luckily my dad lives in the next suburb (but doesn't bother us too much) - and our next door neighbours have 3 daughters who have all offered to babysit (when the baby is born of course!).

Tina said...

I know what you mean - I can't remember the last time Bill and I had time to ourselves...my sister was our only babysitter but she has a boyfriend now and we have to try to book way in advance with her now...LOL

Margaret said...

Oh Bri. I wish we lived closer so that we could have a reciprocal babysitting arrangement. That way it costs nothing. We don't get out often either because the cost of getting the sitter puts a huge dampner on the whole night. So the way we sometimes get around it is when the boys are in child care DH and I will both take a day, or half a day off and go to the movies, have lunch etc. Anything to have time to ourselves.

Hope the little one gives you a full night soon. But as a heads up DS1 is 4 and still comes in to our room at least 3 nights out of 7 LOL. It never ends. But it is so worth it :D