Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Fashion Police


Kathyrnoh made a good point in her blog about wearing clothing to impress people and it started me thinking. In days gone by I wore a lot of “sexy” stuff. Showed a lot of cleavage. Wore high heeled shoes – sometimes very very high heeled shoes – my thinking was if I was taller but the same weight, it would make me look thinner. I was definitely a member of the Fashion Police.

I also wore a lot of things, not because they suited me, but because they were a certain size, a certain colour or the “in” thing.

Don’t get me wrong I haven’t stopped wearing some of these things, I just don’t do it as often and when I do, I do it for me, not for anyone else.

I now wear clothes because they make me feel good – no matter what size the tag says it is, I wear things because they’re comfortable and I wear things that suit my shape, age (or perceived age!!) and lifestyle.

Maybe it is about growing up, but maybe its also a bit about being comfortable with myself and not caring so much what other people think. My true friends will love me whether I’m wearing a ball gown and I’m all prissy, or whether I have on my oldest daggiest shorts and a singlet, no makeup and my 'tuck shop lady arms' are hanging out all over the place.

Although in saying that, I will be much happier with myself when my current clothes are hanging off me a bit and people start saying “geez Briony – you’ve lost a lot of weight and you’re looking fantastic”.

House news:
They rejected our offer. Now we have to rethink our position. I just want this to be over.

That’s it for now,
Bri

5 comments:

laura said...

ehhh, we all get caught by those fashion police now and again...and ur right be loved just the way that u r....and demand them to notice just how fantastic u can be

michelle said...

I will love you no matter what you are wearing...what about the ballgown with thongs?? oh and with pink hair of course. 64 hrs to go......

Lesley said...

Hi Bri
You are having a great start to 2006 - keep it up. I'm so impressed with you singing in a band. I am so un-musical so am always in awe of those of you with talent - lucky you. Sorry about the house, I know how unsettling the whole process is. It will eventually work out so fingers crossed it doesn't take too long.
Lesley
xxxx
PS I think I remember reading on here B4 that you like Robbie Williams - have you read the book Feel? I read it last week, it was fascinating, couldn't put it down.

Margaret said...

Oh bad luck about the house Bri. What a bugger. You'll find something you love soon *hugs*

Hope you have a lovely day tomorrow :D

Mary said...

I missed the story about the house! Will go back and read over but sorry about the rejection. There must be something better around the corner coming.

Being comfortable in your clothes is so much more important but we definitely all fall victims to the fashion too. I used to always wear corsets!