Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Back to work tomorrow


I can't believe I have to go back to work tomorrow. This time off has gone so fast. I guess it's cos i've been busy packing and cleaning and trying to get the house sorted out.

DS starts at his new daycare centre tomorrow. He has been really funny this past week. He has been very clingey and won't even go to his father. He just wants me all the time. I've been having nightmares about him not handling the new daycare and screaming the place down.

I'm sure he'll be okay eventually, it will just take a little while, hopefully only a week or so, for him to get used to it.

I have my car back now. Thank goodness. It is so luxurious compared to the dinosaur loan car I had. I remember how privileged I am now.

I've been mucking around with the paint function on my computer and some photos of our new kitchen. I'll see if I can upload a couple.....

The "before" shot:















The "what Briony likes best" shot


I love red. I've always wanted a red kitchen. This isn't exactly the colour of course and it's not a very good likeness, also the tenants "stuff" is in the picture, but it gives you a bit of an idea. When I said to DH that I wanted a red kitchen he said "you're 'effing' joking aren't you"?.
Hmmm, better get a plan b.






The "safer" shot


This is plan 'b'. A safer neutral colour. Also not a true representation of the real colours etc but gives a bit of an idea.

DH has left it up to me to choose all the colours. I asked him to help but he says he has no idea (and he really doesn't). He thinks the colours that are there already are ok. (Grey and cream - I don't think so!!).

Does anyone have any thoughts?

It's hard picking colours. I bought a software programme called "My Virtual Home" in which you can do the above, but properly. My computer is so old that it doesn't work. My brother is going to install a new video card for me tonight so that I can then use the programme. Maybe it's time to invest in a new computer. I didn't think this one was very old but when I did a diagnostic test a couple of days ago it told me it was 55 months old - so what's that about 4 and a half years and I guess for a computer that is a bit outdated.

One more expense to add to the list of needs!

Edit: Thanks for your concerns about the red cupboards outdating, my Dad is a painter so I will be able to get him to tell me if it will be too hard to repaint them later when they do go out of fashion. I'm pretty keen to have them, even if its only for 12 months. I've had grey kitchen cupboards for the last 8 years and i'm sick to death of them. They just scream 'rental' to me and I need a change. I'll keep you all posted.

Have a great day everyone.

Bri

11 comments:

Me said...

I like the red but becareful of choosing bold colours as they do date and you do get tired of them. We have always had very neutral colours and when we bought this house (5 1/2 years ago) I did the colour thing - everywhere !!! But now I want to go back to the neutrals with maybe just one feature wall in some rooms - maybe in winter I will get my painting clothes out and work through the house room by room.
Good luck with choosing colours as I know how difficult it can be.
I am sure that DS will be fine - it is probably the fact that his routine has been changed that has made him clingey - it may take a couple of days to get him back into the swing of things but hang in there - it will all be worth it when you are in your own home.
Have a great day and look after yourself !
Me

Anonymous said...

Lachlan will be fine. He is probably a bit unsettled cause he is out of his normal routine.

I can't see the pictures?? Hmm

I can't wait to come and stay in the new house!
love me

Yummy Mummy said...

Kids are funny at times... they can sense things that are going on... packing up the house.. new day care... but I am sure he will be fine...

We painted out house out in earthy tones... olive green... clay... latte.. so I really plan B. Red is great but it will date (just like my lime green bench tops!!)

Anonymous said...

What about just some red accessories. Or red, black and white accessories.

I think red in a kitchen does promote a warm feeling but also can encourage you to eat, as in Italian restaurants, etc they are often red to promote eating more. They say you wouldn't feel as hungry in a blue room.

Cheers
Glenys

Mel. said...

I agree with everyone else. The more colour you use the more it will date in time or you get tired of it.
Your DS probably doesn't understand what's happening and will all the packing probably thinks your going to leave him for good. He will settle down but probably not until you move into the new house.

Good luck with choosing colours.

Lee-Anne said...

Hi Bri, first off I want to say huge congrats on moving into your OWN home. It's a really awesome feeling. Your son will be just fine, he will adjust but at that age they do pick a lot of vibes off you as well. You may have to be tough and just walk away, but it won't last for long. And I have to admit it, but I'm all for neutral. You can add colour with accessories. I had the red kitchen 15 years ago, my kitchen is bright yellow now, and soon it will be a neutral colour again. Hmm... maybe its just that I mellow with age. Bah, never!!! Have a great time moving in and making your house your home. Take care

abc said...

I wouldn't go for red, but if that's what tickles your fancy then you go for it! I'm with your husband - you effing joking! LOL LMAO! The beauty of this choice is that it is your choice now. Its your home. No landlord to ask permission from! Woo Hoo!

I'm sending vibes to the little-one for a good brave day daycare, and that he has some fun as well.

More vibes are going to busy you to have a good day back at work, and alovely smile at seeing your happy little one when yuo pick him up later. Can't wait to hear how that goes!

nil said...

I vote you paint your walls that red color..my sister painted her sons bedroom in a similar color red and it looks wonderful

Mary said...

I reckon it's your place, be bold and try things that you would really like to try. I am not very good with colours so I'd personally ask a designer friend or get a few opinions from professionals. Check out a colour chart too maybe? Or get a home decorating magazine for ideas?

I hope DS liked the new daycare centre!?

Jadey said...

I Love the red and who cares if they date! You can always change them. Definately wasn't a fan of the neutral colours you picked. I would go a dark charcoal if not red always classy. The neutral reminded me of older housing

Mel said...

go for the red hon, i love it!
but then, i have a bright red feature wall in my living room and a bright red couch so i'm slightly biased lol
honestly i have never regretted doing it, i love my red!