Thursday, June 23, 2005

A sad day.....

I just found out that my step-grandmother died this morning. "Grannie and Pop" have been living with my Dad and step-mother for the last six months as they're getting on. Dad said Grannie was happy in her time with them over the last 6 months, happier than she was before that when they were living on their own, so that's good.

She had a massive heart attack and a stroke at about 3am. The funeral is on Monday but my lovely husband is going to drive the baby and I up there tomorrow night and then come home to go to work. He'll come back and get us next Tuesday.

I probably won't be able to log in while i'm there so i'll chat with you all next week.

Also won't be able to go to WW on Monday night. Unless they have a meeting up there? It's in the middle of nowhere and about a four and a half hour drive from here, hence Jason is taking me as he doesn't want me driving that far on my own, especially with the icy roads and all the kangaroos and stuff at night time.

I will miss him but I have to do this for my step-mother. She is such a selfless person and she is truly the most giving person i've ever known.

I can't even imagine what it's like for Pop, to lose someone you've spent the last 60 years with, especially as Grannie had become quite dependent on him in the last couple of years. They moved in with my Dad and Step-mum cos Pop was starting to not be able to cope.

I haven't actually seen Grannie and Pop for a while cos I haven't been able to get up there with the baby and everything. The last time I saw them was my step-brothers wedding which was November 2003. I kind of feel guilty for not going up there but there's not much I can do about it now.
I guess we were a lot closer when I was younger and I don't even see my Dad that often now. He has his own life which is very different to mine as he is very religious and i'm the opposite. He's into one of those pushy religions and i'm just not interested in what he has to "preach" about it.

Anyway, i'm going up there to support my step mother and my two step sisters and lets just hope that everything goes ok and i'm really looking forward to getting home next week.

Bri

2 comments:

michelle said...

Oh Bri, that is so sad but it is good that you will be their to help your family and share the time together. MAke sure you shar esom eofthose childhood memories of your time with your Grandma. This time can be a celebration of her life not just a mourning of her dying. Look after yourself and as Flutters says we will be here when you get back if you need to talk.

missmegan1974 said...

Such sad news Briony.

Thinking of you and your family.

:) Megan