Wednesday, June 15, 2005

My story

Well today is another day and it's about time I shared my story.

I'm 38 years old. I was born in Scotland. My family came to Australia when I was 6 years old so i'm basically an Aussie now.

We lived in Sydney until I was 14 then moved to Lake Macquarie. My parents then divorced and I got sent to boarding school (naughty girls' school)!

I've been married three times, yep just call me "Liz" and I have one child. He turned one this week. I can't believe how fast the time has gone.

My weight problems didn't start until my mid twenties. Unfortunately it coincides with when I started drinking. Not that i'm an alcoholic or anything but I like a glass of wine or three. I hardly drink anymore now that i'm a Mum, I just don't have time. I used to be a really big drinker, and I had a reputation for same, but now i'm an average drinker and would be lucky to have a bottle of wine a week and that's on a good week.

I have been overweight ever since, with my weight slowly creeping up over the last 10 years until after my pregnancy when I just knew that I had to do something about it otherwise I was going to end up dead.

I've tried just about every diet known to mankind, but I think unless you are really motivated to lose weight you will find every excuse in the book not to do it. It's the same as giving up smoking, you have to really want to do it, and if you succeed its because you were really motivated.

I've tried the following diets: Sureslim, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Ultra slim, the Soup Diet, and even one when I was younger where you eat chicken one day, apples the next - I like to call this one the "bored shitless" diet!!

Anyhoo, i've been doing Weight Watchers again since 1 January this year and i've lost nearly 16 kilos with 14 to go. Yay for me. But i'm starting to lose motivation and even though I feel fantastic, I don't really feel all that different. People are only just starting to make comments that i'm looking better and some (who will remain nameless) are even saying that i've lost enough and that I "don't want to get sick". I like to call these people the sabateurs!!

I've been off the wagon for a while now but i'm slowly getting back on it. I tend to use any little excuse to cave in. State of Origin is on tonight and we always have pizza but i'm determined to make my own pizzas and I went out and bought a heap of healthy alternatives to put on them.

They usually taste better when you make them yourself anyway!

I'm not really sure about this "blogging" business and need to do some research on how best to do stuff in here. I just got my picture on the title but it took me about 2 hours to work it out, durr! I'd like to put my ticker in here but i'm not sure how. I will have to look into that.

1 comment:

michelle said...

Bri.. so glad you are a blogger. I love it and I am glad my new friend has started. Putting the ticker on was easy. Let me know if you have trouble. I don't know how to do anything else yet. I will try adding links next when i have time. Having a bad day but looking forward to sharing blogs with you.