Monday, April 17, 2006

Broken record



I feel like a broken record, all I seem to do in here is moan, whinge and repeat myself alot.
I've been maintaining my weight for way too long, and i'm starting to worry about my health and the health of my DH. I have to set a good example for him and also, and more importantly, for my DS. I really don't want DS growing up thinking it's okay to be overweight or obese, cos it's not. It's SOOOO not.

PLAN OF ATTACK
  1. Record my weight everyday, this way i'm accountable.
  2. Record my food intake, even if its bad.
  3. Exercise at least once a day, even if its only for 15 minutes.
  4. Drink 2 litres of water a day. Normally i'm really good with my water intake, but lately i've been slacking off. The last two days i've carried a bottle with me everywhere I go and it's made such a difference to how I feel.
  5. No alcohol on school nights. This is a big one. When we moved I was pretty stressed, work was busy (still is) as we're helping out our Cairns office with cyclone claims. This will be the case for a while and I just have to learn to adjust. Also moving house was stressful and we're still not fully unpacked. I used this as an excuse to have a drink everynight. One drink then turns into two, or three and then i'm dehydrated, lethargic and lazy.
  6. No more smoking. OK I know you all think I gave up, and I did, but then I started having one or two when I was drinking and it's all downhill from there.
  7. Plan ahead. This is a biggie. I know that out of all the blogs I read, the people who are truly successful at this weight loss/change of lifestyle thing plan EVERYTHING, and that is one of the biggest keys.
  8. I have to stop letting myself listen to my own excuses. If I can't do this then i'm not motivated enough and i'm wasting my time, and the time of everyone else too. I want to be healthy, slim and fit and i'm not getting there by making excuses and letting myself slip.

GOALS

It's 8 weeks until DS's 2nd birthday. I want to be in the 60's by then. This morning I was 78.4, which is the weight i've been now since Christmas. I was 75.2 last November so i've put on 3.2 kilos since then. D'oh.

I'm going to make up some numbers starting at 58 (number of days til DS's birthday) and i'll mark them off everyday so that I can focus on the decreasing days and how i'm going. I will keep this blog updated, even if it's only to add my weight for the day and whether i'm sticking to my goals. I've been invited on a girls night out at the end of April, but i'm going to decline as I can't be trusted that soon.

I don't want to go backwards anymore.

I don't want to stay the same weight anymore.

I want to lose weight and i'm going to make a concerted effort to do so.

Please, please, please kick me up the backside if I don't stick to my goals. I need all the help I can get. This statement actually screams to me that i'm not motivated enough. I'm just shaking my head at myself now. I really want to be slim. I'm not sure what's stopping me, but like my great friend Michelle says - Fake it til you make it - so that's what i'm going to do.

A new beginning and a new journey to the new me.

Bri

8 comments:

abc said...

Hiya Beautiful One. Don't be too hard on yourself. Objectively lokoing at what you have had going on in your life, I think its been pretty full on. But you know, now is a good time for you to be thinking like getting focused again. You are all moved in and relatively speaking settled. I wish you didn;t think of yourself as obese as you are hardly that at all. But I do understand the goal of being in the 60's. Reading your blog,m I'm thinking the next thing is to work towards a goal - a litle goal, relatively short term. How about a goal for the 1st of May? By the 1st of May I will weigh xx kg. Before you pick a number, make sure iots a realistic goal. Make sure it IS achieveble. If you want to, have two goal, one realistic good goal, plus a stretch one. Its important to have challenging but achiveable goals. Then every day think about that goal. Think about how much you want that goal. And think about what you have to do to reach it. When you feel a lack of motivation, think about that goal and how much you want it, and how you will feel when you have reached it. Make it a little goal....you can always exceed it, but I think that a little goal will give you a kick start. And meeting goals is SoooOOOOooo motivating! You have made me realise how I don;t have a realistic goal for 1 May. SO here goes. ***My goal is to be in the 88's.*** This is a big goal considering that I was 89.9kg on
Thurday but have probably put on 3 kg over this weekend making me 92-93kg (I'm serious). Baby steps beautiful Bri, you can do it! Man can you do it. Baby steps. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Do this for you. You look beautiful and you are NOT obese, but you sound like you feel like you are not happy with your body right now, so go for it. Make it happen. I'll watch you and cheer you on, just as you do for me xxx

philippa_moore said...

Bri, I think everything you've listed in your plan is excellent, apart from the first one. For your own sanity, I'd recommend just weighing yourself once a week. I know it's hard not to sneak a peek every day, but you end up feeling controlled by that number on the scales and that surely is not the point. You said the point of weighing every day is to make yourself accountable. You can make yourself accountable in other ways. Use your blog to make you accountable. We read, we'll know if you haven't done what you said you'd do. Tell other people in your life, who you admire and don't want to let down. But one thing I would say is that the only person you've really got to be accountable to is yourself. If you aren't honest then you aren't cheating anyone but yourself. The only thing that matters is what you think of yourself.

Things have helped motivate me are - having a journal where I write down my food and exercise, and where I have stuck in unflattering photos of myself at my heaviest (I look at them every time I am tempted to hoe into a family block of Cadburys); I also have listed in there my goals and how I will get there, and my reasons for wanting to lose weight.

I know you can do this. You just have to make up your mind that from now on you will live your life this way and JUST KEEP GOING no matter how long it takes and no matter how hard it is.

You're a beautiful, generous and giving person and deserve all the best in life. Don't wait any longer!! Go for it!!

Leighanne said...

You can do it Bri!!!

Be careful with the weighing every day, make sure it does not get out of hand! once I found myself on the scales everytime I went to the loo...lol
Now I still weigh myself everyday - but only first thing in the morning - with no clothes on
I find it has helped keep me accountable!

have a great week:)

Me said...

Bugger - this is the third time I am trying to leave a comment - hope I am luckier this time around.
I don't think you need a kick from me -you have a great plan in place. I think that we will all be a little more motivated to lose those extra treats we had over Easter - we can do it, I know we can.
Take care and have a great week !
Me

Suzy said...

Yes, GO FOR IT Bri! You can do it.

Mary said...

What a great plan of attack but I agree with Phil, don't weigh yourself everyday or it could mess with your head. Recording what you eat everyday though helps big time. You can really do this Bri, I know you can! Now time to start making healthier choices. You don't have to be a Nazi about it either :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others. Don't be too hard on yourself.

I understand what its like to maintain since December. I've been within 5 kilo mark since then.
Have you looked at the underlying reasons why you have been maintaining for such a long time? i.e. deep down are you afraid of being thin, is life too comfortable, why do you sabotage yourself/efforts?
Just some things to think about.

I know you can do this and maybe we both need to give each other a kick up the bum.

Anonymous said...

You've listed some great ideas and strategies. I'm just wondering have you also considered a few other things:-

1. Are you deep down afraid of getting thinner or being thin?
2. Why do you sabotage all of your efforts?
3. Is life too comfortable and easy for you.
4. Why are you putting off what you can do today.

I understand things get in the way and its easy to put ourselves last but you have to remember that you are a very important person and deserve the very best.

Maybe we should do this together and give each other a kick up the bum each day.

I know you can do this if you put your mind to it.